McDavid and Shock Doctor Sports Form ‘United Sports Brands’
SHOCK DOCTOR SPORTS AND MCDAVID INC.
ANNOUNCE FORMATION OF UNITED SPORTS BRANDS
Company unveils new corporate identity, state-of-the-art facility and leadership team
Combined portfolio of performance and protective brands offers unprecedented opportunity to satisfy customers with innovation, quality and service
August 25, 2015 (Minnetonka, MN): Shock Doctor Sports and McDavid Inc. today unveiled United Sports Brands as the name of their combined global organization. With an innovative portfolio of performance and protective sports products, United Sports Brands will serve as the corporate parent for Shock Doctor, McDavid, Cutters and XO sporting goods brands.
“United Sports Brands brings together two highly complementary businesses to better serve customers who demand the very best in performance-driven and protective equipment,” said Tony Armand, the company’s Chief Executive Officer. “Our combined company is positioned for growth with faster customer delivery, pioneering innovation and technology, a more efficient supply chain, and state-of-the-art manufacturing and warehousing.”
By early 2016, United Sports Brands will move into a new facility in Fountain Valley, CA. This transition will include the following:
- The opening of a 120,000 square foot advanced distribution center in Fountain Valley capable of serving the needs of the growing, combined organization;
- Fountain Valley will become the central hub for sales, marketing and product development teams;
- Shock Doctor Sports’ current location in Minnetonka, MN, will become the principal home of finance, customer service, operations and information technology;
- McDavid Europe (Belgium and Switzerland) and McDavid Japan (Tokyo) will continue to operate as wholly owned subsidiaries of United Sports Brands and will support the sales, marketing, manufacturing and distribution of the portfolio of brands across Asia and Europe; and,
- During the integration, McDavid’s Chicago facility will close beginning this October, with office, distribution and manufacturing moving to Fountain Valley in 2016.
“As part of our integration, we are consolidating office, distribution and manufacturing locations to improve our supply chain and better serve customers,” said Bob McDavid, Chairman of the Board for United Sports Brands. “Closing the facility in Chicago was a tough decision and there’s no question that this will be a difficult time for our impacted employees. Our priority is helping each person successfully transition through lengthy period of working notice, favorable severance packages and strong encouragement to apply for positions at our locations in California and Minnesota.”
The Leadership Team
United Sports Brands will be led by CEO Tony Armand with a new executive team comprised of former Shock Doctor Sports and McDavid leaders, in addition to new members.
• Bob McDavid, Chairman of the Board
• Dennis Goetz, CFO
• Jay Turkbas, SVP of Product Development
• Mary Horwath, SVP of Marketing
• Kent Pachl, SVP of Sales
• Drew Brassard, SVP of Operations
• Patrick Cloots, SVP of International
• Jason Richter, VP of Product Marketing
• Jeff Burnett, VP of Operations
• Bill Best, VP of Research & Development
“This is an impressive team with a proven record of growing consumer brands, unlocking business value and providing outstanding customer service,” said Armand. “I’m privileged to work each day with a team so committed to making our brands the number one choice for athletes around the world.”
About United Sports Brands
United Sports Brands is a global leader in sports performance and protective products designed to help athletes perform at their personal best. Brands within the company’s impressive portfolio include Shock Doctor, the #1 global leader in mouthguards; McDavid, a brand at the top of the recommended lists of pro athletes, sports medicine professionals and athletic trainers for more than 30 years; Cutters, the innovative leader in the athletic glove market and high performance glove grip technology; and, XO Athletic, a premium, game-changing developer of athletic cups and sports protection. United Sports Brands is also a portfolio company of Bregal Partners, a private equity investment firm.